225g/8oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
25g/1oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz milk
1. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly
grease a baking sheet.
2. Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
3. Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
4. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat
out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp
out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together
the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all
5. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15
minutes until well risen and golden.
I also leave out the sugar, put
in a pinch of cayenne pepper and about 5oz cheese, make into a
round, and then cut into 8ths, but don't separate them, put more
cheese on top, then bake, then separate them, slice them and butter
Or I leave in the sugar and add
about 4 oz of dried fruit.
Or about 4 oz of cooked apple,
but then you have to add less milk to keep the consistency the